We’ve been wanting to hike Mt. Mariveles popularly, know as Tarak Ridge, since early 2016, it is when I was new to hiking. Then early this year, we decided to celebrate our friend’s birthday to this mountain.
We started our trek at around 4AM. Trek up until papaya river is just a smooth rolling terrain, so everyone of us still manage to have a consistent pace. We passed by the house of Nanay Cording, we registered and gave her some supplies and then we proceed trekking to Papaya River. There are different trails that are going to the summit, but we took the normal trail most hikers are following.
After almost two hours of trekking in the dark, we reached the Papaya River. There are still campers sleeping when we got there so I advised my team to tone down their voices. We took a nice rest before we commence the assault going to ridge, then to the summit.
Starting from Papaya River, it was a gradual assault then after few minutes of hiking up, it became a direct assault that is almost 90 degree angle the will require you to hold on to the roots and push yourself to be able to move forward (or upward). It was almost an hour ascent till we reach the ridge that also serves as a camp site for most hikers. At the ridge, you will see an amazing view of Bataan and its neighboring island like Corregidor.
We continued our hike going to the summit after a few minutes of rest. It was almost a 30 minute assault before we reached the summit. We took time to appreciate nature before we descend our way back to Papaya River to have our lunch and to swim a little.
- 0400 – Assembly time at Bataan Transit Cubao station
- 0430 – ETD Bataan Transit Cubao terminal
- 0730 – ETA Alas Asin Barangay Hall. Register
- 0800 – ETA to Aling Cording’s hut. Register and give donation.
- 0820 – Start trek
- 0940 – Arrival at Papaya River. Take early lunch.
- 1000 – Start ascend to the Ridge
- 1145 – ETA Tarak Ridge.
- 1300 – Start descend
- 1400 – ETA Papaya River
- 1520 – Back at jump off. Wash up. Eat.
- 1700 – ETD Jump off
- 1730 – Back at waiting shed. Ride bus going to Pasay/Cubao
- 2030 – ETA Manila
- 0200 – Assembly at Makati
- 0215 – ETD Makati to Bataan Transit Cubao
- 0245 – ETA Bataan Transit Terminal
- 0300 – ETD to Mariveles, Bataan
- 0600 – ETA in Brgy. Alas-asin, Mariveles
- 0605 – Breakfast at Alas-asin
- 0630 – Registration at Alas-asin Barangay Hall
- 0645 – Start Trek! 🙂
- 0715 – Stop-Over at Nanay Cording’s
- 0730 – Start Trek to Papaya River! 🙂
- 1030 – ETA Papaya River
- 1100 – Lunch at Papaya River
- 1130 – Rest, Fill all water containers
- 1200 – Start Trek to Tarak Ridge
- 1700 – ETA Tarak Ridge (Set up Camp)
- 1730 – Wait and watch sunset at Tarak Ridge
- 1830 – Dinner/Socials
- 2000 – Lights Off 🙂
- 0400 –Wake-Up Call
- 0430 – Start Trek to Summit
- 0500 – Wait and watch sunrise
- 0600 – Start descent to Tarak Ridge
- 0620 – ETA Campsite
- 0640 – Start descent to Papaya River
- 0930 – ETA Papaya River
- 0945 – Have fun at Papaya River 🙂
- 1030 – Lunch at Papaya River
- 1100 – Have fun at Papaya River 🙂
- 1200 – Start trek!
- 1430 –ETA Nanay Cording’s
- 1500 – Back to Jump-Off. Wash.
- 1600 – ETD Mariveles to Manila
- 1930 – ETA Cubao/Manila 🙂
- Php 272.00 – Bus Fare Cubao to Mariveles
- Php 272.00 – Bus Fare Mariveles to Cubao
- Php 40.00 – Registration Fee
- Php 20.00 – Fee at Wash Up Area.
TOTAL BUDGET: Php604.00
Guide Fee: Php 900.00/Group (OPTIONAL)
How to get there
- Ride a bus bound to Mariveles, either Bataan Transit or Genesis Bus
- Tell the conductor to drop you off to Brgy. Alas Asin
- Register to the barangay and start your trek
- Contact Numbers
Nanay Cording – 0917 472 3978
- Be sure to be prepared if you plan to hike this mountain.
- If you can bring some grocery or anything for Nanay Cording, please do. You’ll be paying nothing when you register at her place. Just for courtesy, please give her something.
- Conserve the Papaya River
- Bring your trash with you
- Clean as you go
- Lala De Guzman
- Katrina Barrameda
- Robinson Jabagat