I know that you are looking for a new hiking destination which is not that crowded, so here’s a travel guide to Laiban for a quick twin day hike and a refreshing dip to the waterfalls!
Before anything else, we hiked these mountains on a weekday and there’s literally only the two of us who hike on that day. We had the mountains all by ourselves without any other hikers on site. So, consider hiking on a weekday for a less crowded experience.
OK! Because it’s my friend Leley’s weekday off, we decided to go on a quick twin day hike in Brgy. Laiban, Tanay, Rizal which is just next to the barangays where Maysawa Circuit is located. There are actually four mountains in this barangay, a reason for it to be coined as Laiban Quatro. These mountains are Mt. Ngusong Kabayo, Mt. Lubo, Mt. Toyang, and Mt. Matang Ulang.
Hiking Mt. Lubo and Mt. Ngusong Kabayo can be done in less than a half day including the waterfalls. From jump of to Mt. Lubo, it will only take you one and a half hour to reach its summit, and another 15-30 minutes to reach Mt. Ngusong Kabayo’s rock formation. Tangwa Peak, is just a few minutes away from the rock formation of Mt. Ngusong Kabayo, and you’ll see here a 360 view of Sierra Madre, along with the mountains of Maysawa Circuit, and Mt. Toyang.
Mt. Lubo is arguably a peak not a mountain, well, I’ll just leave that to the pro’s to what ever they want to call it, but for me, Tangwa Peak deserves to be called Mt. Tangwa and Mt. Lubo to be called Lubo Peak.
Anyways, so after we reached Tangwa Peak, we descended down after a few minutes to take a dip to the cool water of Laiban Falls. Laiban Falls is a multi layered waterfalls with cool blue waters. It is just around 30 minutes to 1 hour trek from the Tangwa Peak. You will not get disappointed with this waterfall, because you’ll enjoy every layer of it, unlike the so called “8 Wonder Falls” 😛
So, after a refreshing dip to the waterfalls, we decided to go back to the jump off to wash up and go back to Manila. We reached the jump off before 11PM and left the place at exactly 12NN. and back to Manila by 2PM, just the right time for me to go to work. 😛
How to get to Brgy. Laiban
- From Cubao, ride a jeep going to Cogeo Gate 2
- From Cogeo Gate 2, proceed to the jeepney terminal and ride a jeep going to Sampaloc and tell the driver to drop you off to Mayagay 1, the land mark will be Martessem.
- Then from Mayagay 1, there are habal-habals waiting for you and they will take you to Brgy. Laiban. You will be crossing at least 9 river crossings before you reach the barangay. Ration of the habal-habal is 1:1 for a more comfortable ride on a bumpy 30 minute ride.
- Cubao to Cogeo — Php 24.00 (Php 48.00 RT)
- Cogeo to Mayagay 1 — Php 55.00 (Php 110.00 RT)
- Mayagay 1 to Brgy. Laiban — Php 100.00 (Php 200.00 RT)
- Registration Fee — Php 40.00
- Environmental Fee (Mt. Ngusong Kabayo) — Php 20.00
- Environmental Fee (Laiban Falls) — Php 20.00
- Guide Fee — Php 500.00
- Total Budget per pax for a group of 5 Persons — Php 538.00
Suggested Itinerary (Average Pacing)
- 0300 Meetup Cubao
- 0400 ETD to Cubao to Cogeo
- 0430 ETA to Cogeo
- 0500 ETD Cogeo to Mayagay 1 (Martessem)
- 0600 ETA to Mayagay 1, Ride habal-habal
- 0630 ETA to Brgy. Laiban
- Secure guides
- 0700 Start Trek
- 0800 ETA Mt. Lobo
- 0900 ETA Mt. Ngusong Kabayo
- 0930 ETA Tangwa Peak
- 1000 Start descent to Laiban Falls
- 1130 ETA Laiban Falls Layer 4
- 1200 Proceed to the other layers
- best to swim at the Layer 2 of this waterfall
- 1400 Trek back to Jump off
- Wash up, eat
- 1500 Back to Mayagay 1
- 1530 ETA Mayagay 1
- Wait for Jeep to Cogeo
- 1700 ETA Cogeo
- Ride jeep to Cubao
- 1830 ETA Cubao
- If you are a large group, you better hire you own transport service for your convenience.
- If you are renting a van, you will have to leave it at Mayagay 1, and still ride habal-habal going to the barangay.
- If you are renting a monster jeep from Cogeo, it can already take you to Brgy. Laiban, and you don’t have to ride the habal-habal.
- Kuya Bimboy (Joshua) — 0930 924 6637
- You can contact him if you want to ask for info about the mountains.
- You can also ask him if he knows someone who has a monster jeep that can fetch you from Cogeo and bring you to Brgy. Laiban. Just let him know that we referred him to you guys