Early this year, I started a project called the “The 100 Mountains Project” aiming to summit 100 mountains before the end of this year. I started off the project by hiking the Montalban Trilogy, the Mt. Pamitinan, Mt. Hapunang Banoi, and Mt.Binacayan. That’s three mountains already to kick off the project!
Before performing this trilogy hike, first you need to know if you are fit to climb three mountains consecutively. This hike can last upto 11 hours of trekking. You need to be physically and mentally prepared to last the whole hike.
Started our trek to our first mountain, Mt. Pamitinan, at exactly 5AM. It was a 2 hour hike from jump off to the junction of Mt. Pamitinan and Mt. Hapunang Banoi. It’s a gradual assault going to the summit, passing by boulders of rocks. There are at least two stations where you can take a five minute rest. We reached the junction before 7am, took a five minute rest and then proceed to Mt. Pamitinan summit.
The trail to Mt. Pamitinan summit is not that easy for some because of the pointed rock formation in which you need to more cautious in every step your take. It’s a 15-20 minute hike before you reach the famous view point where in you can take those “buwis buhay” shots. From there, you can see a panoramic view of Rizal, and the mountain of Bincayan. From the second view point, which is just 5 minutes away from the first one, will give you a stunning view of the sea of clouds and a beautiful sun rise.
Right after descending Mt. Pamitinan, we proceed to trekking Mt. Hapunang Banoi, which is just right next to Mt. Pamitinan separated by the junction. It’s a 30 to 40 minute hike from junction to summit, it may vary depending on the human traffic of the mountain. The sharp rock edges also adds difficulty hiking this mountain, and one must be super careful ascending this mountain. At the summit, you’ll see the mountains of Sierra Madre and view Mt. Pamitinan and Mt. Binacayan.
We descended down before 11pm and had our lunch at the eatery near DENR. at exactly 1PM, on a hot Saturday afternoon, we started our final trek to Mt. Binacayan. It was a tiring hike made even worst by the heat of the sun. Trek to summit of Mt. Binacayan is not easy, you need pass by big boulders of rocks, requiring up body strength and arm strength to be able to pull your self up the rocks. It took us almost two hours before we reach the summit. From the summit, you can see the mountains of Mt. Pamitinan and Mt. Hapunang Banoi, and a 360 view of the Sierra Madre mountains. You can take you “buwis buhay” shots here.
We descended Mt. Binacayan after spending 20 minutes at the summit, and then reach the jump off by 4:30 PM. It was indeed a challenging day hike that tests our strength and endurance. It is worth coming back, but for a hexa climb. 😛
- 03:00 — ETD To Eastwood, Montalban via van from Cubao
- 04:00 — ETA to Eastwood, Montalbal. ETD to Brgy Wawa (via trike)
- 04:30 — ETA Brgy. Wawa, register, secure guides, start trek to Mt. Pamitinan
- 07:00 — ETA Junction
- 07:30 — ETA Mt. Pamitinan Summit
- 07:45 — Start descent to Junction
- 08:15 — ETA Junction, take five minute rest
- 08:20 — Start trek to Mt. Hapunang Banoi
- 09:30 — ETA Mt. Hapunang Banoi Summit
- 10:00 — Start descent to junction
- 11:00 — ETA Junction, take five minute rest
- 11:05 — Start descent to jump off
- 12:00 — ETA jump off, rest, lunch
- 13:00 — Start trek to Mt. Binacayan
- 15:00 — ETA Mt. Binacayan summit, photo ops
- 15:15 — Start descent
- 16:00 — ETA Jump off, wash up, eat
- 18:00 — ETD Manila
- 20:00 — ETA Manila
- Cubao to Eastwood, Montalban (Van) — Php 50.00/person
- Eastwood, Montalban to Brgy. Wawa (Trike) — Php 50.00/trike
- Registration — Php 50.00
- Guide — Php 1,500.00 (1:5) Montalban Trilogy